Woman Arrested After Allegedly Calling 911 to Avoid Meeting Her Date

Phoning the police to evade meeting up with her date led to the arrest of an 18-year-old lady.

A criminal complaint from the North Liberty Police Department (NLPD) shows that Sumaya Thomas, a resident of North Liberty, Iowa, reported her violent ex-boyfriend as threatening her shortly after midnight on June 16. Thomas informed authorities that her ex-boyfriend had threatened to “hit, punch, kick, and stab her,” according to the complaint.

The 18-year-old also informed authorities that she was expecting his child.

A man was on his way out when the police arrived. He told police he met Thomas on a dating app a week before. They talked on the app before moving on to text messages on their phones. As a result of Thomas’s allegations, the man was held for more than an hour.

According to the police, the man’s account was sufficiently supported by the text message exchanges he showed to the authorities.

During the police interview with Thomas, she said she had known the man for two years, claiming he had been abusive to her before and would not leave her alone. The report pointed out that although she claimed the threatening communications occurred on Snapchat, they really occurred over text, which she subsequently erased.

Thomas did not acknowledge the allegations were unfounded until her third interview with the police, as stated in the criminal complaint. For her part, she informed authorities that she had dialed 911 after experiencing cold feet about meeting him and no longer wanted to. The report further said that she told the police that she fabricated the entire scenario because she believed the cops would not assist.

The criminal complaint against Thomas, who was arrested, included two charges of “False Report of Indictable Offense to Public Entity” and one count of a False 9-1-1 call.

The affidavit states that Thomas made an unfounded allegation about her date being an “abusive” ex-boyfriend who had sent her threatening messages.

Two misdemeanor counts of false reporting led to the woman’s arrest on June 16. The Johnson County Jail eventually let the woman go.