Two-Year-Old Child Dies of Sepsis After Being Discharged From Hospital

Tragically, a young girl born with Down syndrome, who was just two years old, died of sepsis after being released from the hospital by a doctor who was reportedly a “rookie.”

After experiencing agitation, fever, and a rash, Selina Samarina was brought to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford on 7 April.

She was released from the hospital but died after returning to the hospital two days later when her parents were still concerned with her condition. This was according to a study that looks into cases in order to prevent future fatalities.

Within fifty-six days of receiving the coroner’s findings, the Mid and South Essex NHS Hospital Trust is tasked to provide a thorough response.

Assistant coroner Stephen Simblet KC of Essex stated that there was concern over the staffing assignments on that day. According to the report, the sepsis procedure was initiated upon Selina’s arrival at the hospital following an urgent referral.

Within one hour, a senior doctor was supposed to have examined her, according to the coroner.

Unfortunately, because of the great demand for the ward service, a doctor who lacked expertise was dispatched.

The absence of treatment for complications like pneumonia and sepsis led to Selina’s release from the hospital. Despite the urgent referral, it took quite a while for a doctor with enough seniority to become available to evaluate Selina.

Mr. Simblet stated that Selina had followed the junior doctor’s orders and returned home with her parents.

The study gave a thorough rundown of the pediatric and emergency room staffing levels. Just seven physicians were present, as opposed to the customary twelve.

Selina died of a combination of sepsis, pneumonia, Down syndrome, and an upper respiratory tract infection, according to the May inquest into her death.

According to Mr. Simblet’s most recent report, a top consultant neglected to assess Selina’s status due to an increased workload and a shortage of experienced doctors.